Step 1: Complete about two weeks prior to graduation
- Obtain an Application for License by Exam – Nurse
- Download form at: www.hawaii.gov/dcca/areas/pvl
- Complete application page (pg.6)
- Fee: $40 (Non-refundable)
- Check payable to: Commerce and Consumer Affairs
- Submit application & $40 fee, as well as any required official documents to:
Hawaii Board of Nursing
DCCA, PVL Licensing
P.O. Box 3469
Honolulu, Hawaii 96801 OR Delivery to office location at:
335 Merchant Street, Rm. 301
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Phone: (808) 586-3000
Step 2: Try to complete two weeks prior to graduation.
- Obtain and fill out a UHM Request for Transcript form (green) and submit to the UHM Cashier’s Office
- Check the box on the green UHM transcript request form thatsays “send after degree awarded notation is posted”
- Fee: $5.00
- Send to the same address of Hawaii Board of Nursing
Important Note: The Records office normally takes about 6 weeks, post commencement date, to send out requested transcripts, but they try very hard to process requests by nursing students first. Transcripts are usually received by the Hawaii Board of Nursing within 2-4 weeks post commencement date. The Office of Student Services (OSS) will also send a letter verifying your graduation to the State Board of Nursing the work day after your graduation commencement. This letter will allow the State Board to assess your eligibility for examination.
Once the Hawaii Board of Nursing determines your eligibility for examination, they will send you the NCLEX/CAT Candidate Bulletin and Registration Form which will tell you how to register for NCLEX.
- Should receive this letter within 3-5 weeks of graduation if you turned in application prior to graduation.
Register for the Exam directly with Pearson Vue Professional Testing
Register via internet, mail or telephone
- Website: www.pearsonvue.com/NCLEX
- Create an account
- Fee: $200 (Non-Refundable)
- School code: 37-556 (UHM ‘Traditional’ BS program)
Once the NCLEX/CAT Data center has processed your registration and verified your eligibility with the Board of Nursing, you will be mailed an Authorization to Test (ATT) along with a list of Testing Centers.
Once you have received your ATT, you must schedule your appointment to take the test at the Pearson Professional Center of your choice.
- Select test date and testing center
- Pearson Professional Center on Oahu
- 1441 Kapiolani Blvd.
- Suite 204
- Honolulu, Hawaii 96814
- Phone: (808) 944-5057
- May take two weeks to receive confirmation via E-mail or mail
- The Testing Center is required to ensure that all eligible first-time applicants are scheduled within thirty (30) days of their requested test date.
- Valid for 60 days to 365 days depending on state board but average is 90 days
Take the test. Test will last a maximum of 6 hours.
- Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled testing time
- Bring ATT and Picture I.D (U.S Driver’s License, U.S State I.D, Passport, U.S Military I.D)
- Name must match to each other
- Will be asked to provide a signature, take a picture, do a palm vein scan, and give a fingerprint
- There are two preprogrammed optional breaks. First optional break is offered two after two hours of testing; Second optional break is offered after three and one-half hours of testing. May choose to take other breaks but all breaks count toward testing time.
The Board of Nursing will mail your results approximately two weeks after taking the test. DO NOT CALL THE BOARD OF NURSING AS RESULTS WILL NOT BE GIVEN OVER THE TELEPHONE. Unofficial Results will be available within 48 hours through Quick Results Service (www.pearsonvue.com/NCLEX).
You can re-take the exam within 45 or 90 days after the last date the exam was taken.
After passing the exam, the License fee of $100 will be due.
Process to Applying for License and NCLEX in Another State Other than Hawaii
- Contact that state’s Board of Nursing for application instructions and requirements, as they may be different from Hawaii’s process.
- Fill out application
- Still need to send in transcripts to that State’s Board of Nursing (BON).
- If there are forms that need to be filled out by Office of Student Services (OSS), send them to OSS to be completed.
- OSS will send completed forms DIRECTLY to that state’s BON