Update on dean search
September 14, 2020
The Provost announced that UHM Administration has decided to pause the search for the next School Dean. This decision is in line with the University’s goal of ensuring that UH Manoa remains financially sound and able to remain true to our mission in support of Hawaii. Dean Mary Boland had intended to retire this year but has decided to delay her retirement until Fall 2021 due to Manoa planning for Post-COVID Hawaii.
Search advisory committee formed for the Nancy Atmospera-Walch School of Nursing dean search
February 25, 2020
Read the news story at UH News.
The University of Hawaii at Manoa’s Office of the Provost has formally initiated the search for the next dean of the Nancy Atmospera-Walch School of Nursing (NAWSON). In doing so, a search advisory committee reporting to Provost Michael Bruno has been established to start the search process.
NAWSON is the premier nursing and dental hygiene school in the State of Hawaii. The school is dedicated to improving health through education, research and service. It provides instructional, clinical and research activities to enhance the health and care of diverse populations in the State of Hawaii and the Asia-Pacific region.
William Chismar, Interim Dean of the Outreach College, will chair the search advisory committee, whose members are as follows:
- Mildred Arucan-Matsunaga, Assistant Professor, Department of Dental Hygiene, NAWSON
- John Chen, Professor and Chair, (Director of Biostatistics Core Facility), Quantitative Health, John A. Burns School of Medicine
- Katherine Finn Davis, Specialist (Director, Community Partnerships and Associate Director, Hawaii State Center for Nursing), NAWSON
- Art Gladstone, Chief Executive Officer, Straub Medical Center and Pali Momi Medical Center, Hawaii Pacific Health (Community)
- Jill Hoggard Green, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Queen’s Health Systems (Community)
- Merle Kataoka-Yahiro, Professor, Department of Nursing, NAWSON
- Deborah Mattheus, Associate Professor (Director, Dental Sealant Program for Hawaii Keiki), Department of Nursing, NAWSON
- Nalani Minton, Assistant Specialist, Ike Ao Pono Director, NAWSON (Kualii Council)
- Nicole Ryan, Graduate Student, NAWSON, (Graduate Student Organization)
- Ashley Spencer, Academic Systems Manager, NAWSON (Staff)
- Desiree Uyeda, Marketing Manager, NAWSON (Staff)
- Lorrie Wong, Associate Professor (Director of UH Translational Health Science Simulation Center), NAWSON
- Kelly Yoshida, Undergraduate Student (ASUH)
- Michele Tom (ex officio), Executive Search Coordinator, UH Mānoa
The committee will recommend finalists to Provost Bruno, who will then recommend a selectee to UH President David Lassner.
The search process will convene over the summer (formal job announcement forthcoming) with finalists invited to campus in the fall semester with the anticipated start date for the new dean in spring 2021.