“Interprofessional education occurs when students from two or more professions learn about, from, and with each other to enable effective collaboration and improve health outcomes.”
What IPE is not:
- Simply sharing electronic health records.
- Sole profession teams (e.g., neurologist, pulmonologist, radiologist).
- Learners hearing a talk about another profession.
- Reporting out at interdisciplinary team meetings.
- Co-location without intentional collaboration.
- Decision-making without client/patient input.
Dora Anne Mills, MD, MPH. IPEC Institute on Interprofessional Education. 7 October 2015.
Why IPE is Important?
IPE is not the goal, it is a vehicle for improving outcomes.
End goal: Health professionals who can work together effectively to deliver patient-centered care and improve population health in a more affordable and efficient manner.
Gwen Sherwood, PhD, RN. IPEC Institute on Interprofessional Education. 7 October 2015
Hawaii Interprofessional Education (HIPE) Initiative
University of Hawaii at Manoa
2528 McCarthy Mall, Webster Hall 3rd Floor
Honolulu, HI 96822
Join the HIPE Newsletter
Subscribe to the Hawaii Interprofessional Education (HIPE) Initiative Newsletter!