The School of Nursing and Dental Hygiene has been closely following the developing coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and is monitoring updates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the State of Hawaii. With the well-being of our students, faculty and staff foremost in our minds, and as a precautionary health measure, we have adjusted instruction and staffing schedules. We will continue to provide updates as necessary via email and on this web page.
Notice Regarding Events & Dental Hygiene Clinic
Updated: March 24, 2020
As a precautionary health measure to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, the following School of Nursing & Dental Hygiene events have been canceled or rescheduled. Events may be rescheduled for a future date. The Dental Hygiene Clinic will be closed until further notice. For a listing of events that will be offered online, visit our event page. Thank you for your understanding.
- March 10, 2020 – UH Manoa Nursing Dean’s Lecture (canceled/to be rescheduled)
- March 19, 2020 – Traditional BS in Nursing Info Session – Spring 2020 #3 (canceled)
- March 30, 2020 – 2020 Health Sciences Interdisciplinary Poster Festival (canceled/to be rescheduled)
- April 4, 2020 – UH Manoa Experience 2020 & UH Manoa Nursing Experience at Webster Hall (canceled)
- May 13, 2020 – Spring 2020 Nursing Recognition Ceremony (to be rescheduled)
- May 15, 2020 – Spring 2020 Dental Hygiene Recognition Ceremony (to be rescheduled)
- June 18, 2020 – 2020 Alumni Awards & Scholarship Fundraiser (to be rescheduled)
SONDH Not Participating in UH Manoa Summer Study Abroad
March 13, 2020
The School of Nursing & Dental Hygiene is recommending that SONDH students do not participate in the UH Manoa 2020 Dublin Summer Study Aboard program.
Resources Regarding the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Outbreak (COVID-19)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, COVID-19 web page
- Hawaii State Department of Health website
- Hawaii State Department of Health, COVID-19 email updates sign up
- University of Hawaii System, COVID-19 web page
- University of Hawaii at Manoa, COVID-19 web page
- Healthcare Association of Hawaii, COVID-19 web page
What can you do? How can you help?
Stopping the spread of an epidemic depends upon system and individual responses. Systems work when each person is engaged and cooperates within the system. UHM School of Nursing and Dental Hygiene cares about you and will monitor the campus situation and alert you if there are any changes.
In light of the current situation, here are some important actions that each of us can take:
- Be sure to get your seasonal Influenza vaccination.
- Practice hand hygiene often (soap and water for visibly soiled hands; wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, have hand sanitizer available). Encourage others to practice good hand hygiene- be a good role model!
- Practice good cough etiquette, carry tissues.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose with unwashed hands.
- Stay home if you are sick or have a fever!
- Register with the UH Manoa Emergency Notification System so that you can receive up to date information regarding the situation and UH directives.
- Register with the State of Hawaii Alerts emergency notification alert system
- Check the US State Department for travel advisories and do not travel to high risk countries.