University of Hawaii at Manoa is a member of NEXus (The Nursing Education Exchange). NEXus is collaboration between participating doctoral programs in nursing that allows doctoral students enrolled at member colleges and universities to take courses that may not be offered at their home institution for a common tuition price. The UHM NEXus staff liaison coordinates course offerings and facilitates faculty and student selection of courses.
A student enrolling in a course through NEXus will pay a NEXus Common Price per credit hour directly to the Teaching Institution. Visit the NEXus Common Price page for current rates and for details about what is covered by the fees. As with all courses, you are responsible for the cost of your books and educational materials.
NEXus courses may qualify for financial aid. If you are receiving aid and plan on taking a NEXus course, please complete and route a consortium agreement to the UHM NEXus Campus Staff Coordinator. The completed form will be routed to the teaching school Financial Aid office for completion.
The student is responsible for meeting the registration and payment deadlines of the institution that is offering the course. In some cases, this will not coincide with the UH Manoa calendar. Advanced financial and academic planning is required to ensure the student can access the requested course. View a complete list of NEXus institutions registration deadlines.
View a complete list of courses offered by NEXus member colleges and universities.
- NEXus courses can only be taken to meet elective or cognate course requirements.
- Students enrolled in a NEXus course must meet all course requirements.
- Students are encouraged to contact the NEXus course faculty in advance to ensure that they understand the course requirements (for example, prerequisite courses, vacation periods, on-campus requirements, technology requirements, synchronous versus asynchronous discussions).
Transferring Credit Back to UH Manoa Nursing
Upon completion of the NEXus course, students are required to submit a request for a copy of their transcript to be sent to UH Manoa. For more information about transferring credits visit the UH Manoa Registration and Course Completion Procedures page.
How to Apply
Deadlines vary. Visit NEXus for a complete listing of registration deadlines.
All Doctor of Nursing Practice and PhD doctoral students must discuss proposed elective/cognate course selections with advisor/chair to ensure the course(s) meet the academic needs.
- Review the NEXus application process.
- Complete the NEXus Enrollment Tracking Form and submit it to the NEXus Campus Coordinator.
- Complete the following documents and submit it to the NEXus Campus Coordinator:
- The NEXus Campus Coordinator will submit your NEXus application to the requested teaching institution. The teaching institution will contact each student directly and will send a listing of additional requirements.
For Campus Staff Coordinator Information:
DNP Program Coordinator & NEXus Campus Staff Coordinator
Contact for applicants and current students in the DNP program and the NEXus Program.
Nancy Atmospera-Walch School of Nursing
University of Hawaii at Manoa
2528 McCarthy Mall, Webster Hall 201
Honolulu, HI 96822
via Star Balance