For U.S. Veterans
The school facilitates veteran student success in the nursing program from admission to graduation and beyond. The aims to increase the number of BS prepared nurses in Hawaii, improve employment opportunities for veterans, and provide support services. Student veterans may enroll in any of the Nancy Atmospera-Walch School of Nursing pathways. Veterans with military medical training and experience may be able to receive academic credit towards completion of a nursing program with the goal to decrease time to graduation.
“In 2009, I joined the U.S. Navy and served our country for 6 years. I have always wanted to become a nurse and dream to reenlist as a Navy nurse to save lives. I received financial scholarship that supports my nursing academic journey, and it has truly made a huge difference for me. I am thankful for the benevolent hearts who help students like me become the best nurses we can be.” – John Cary Nuez, Undergraduate Nursing Student Veteran, Class of 2019
Benefits for Veterans
- A curriculum that is tailored to veteran student needs and gives credit for military experience and education.
- Learning resources and nursing licensing exam (NCLEX-RN) preparatory courses.
- Nursing faculty who are familiar with the military and needs of student veterans.
Active duty service members and veterans from the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy are eligible. Student veterans must have been honorably or generally discharged from the military to participate.
Accepted military status includes:
- Active Duty
- National Guard
Credit by Examination
Credit by exam is offered for student veterans who have documented military medical experience. Courses available for credit by examination in the Nancy Atmospera-Walch School of Nursing are NURS 210, NURS 210/L, NURS 212, NURS 220 and NURS 220/L. To obtain credit for these courses, students are required to pass a comprehensive exam, skills testing, written care plan, and a standardized specialty exam. For more details, please contact the Office of Student Services.
How to Apply
- If you do not have a bachelor’s degree, review the pathways available for the Bachelor of Science Degree.
- If you have a bachelor’s degree in a field other than nursing, review the Graduate Entry Program in Nursing Program pathway.
Contact for Nancy Atmospera-Walch School of Nursing
Undergraduate Program Advisor
Contact for current students in the undergraduate nursing & dental hygiene programs.
- High School Direct Entry in Nursing students: email@example.com
- High School Direct Entry in Dental Hygiene students: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Undergraduate nursing students: email@example.com
- Veterans to Nurses Program – Current nursing veteran students and students using VA education benefits: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nancy Atmospera-Walch School of Nursing
University of Hawaii at Manoa
2528 McCarthy Mall, Webster Hall 201
Honolulu, HI 96822
via Star Balance
Contact for Questions about VA Education Benefits or Veteran Benefits
Please contact the Office of Veteran Student Services
Student Equity, Excellence & Diversity (SEED)
University of Hawaii at Manoa
OVSS Email: email@example.com
2020 Dean Search
Update on dean search September 14, 2020 The Provost announced that UHM Administration has decided to pause the search for the next School Dean. This decision is in line with…
Marilyn Wilcox Endowed Nursing Scholarship to support veteran students pursing nursing careers
On Thursday, November 7, 2019, retired UH Manoa Nursing director for community partnerships, COL (Ret) Stephanie Marshall, and her husband COL (Ret) Dr. Chuck Miller announced the establishment of the…
UH Manoa Nursing earns maximum 10-year reaccreditation
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) has reaccredited the baccalaureate (BS), master’s (MS), and doctor of nursing practice (DNP) degree programs through 2029. As of fall 2019, UH Manoa…