Virtual Recognition Ceremony Celebrates Nursing Graduates
UHM Nursing honored Fall 2019, Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 graduates in a virtual Recognition Ceremony on December 2, 2020. The ceremony celebrated graduates from the Bachelor of Science: Hawaii Statewide Nursing Consortium, RN to Bachelor of Science, Master of Science, Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) nursing programs.
Gary Glauberman, PhD, RN, PHNA-BC, NHDP-BC, UHM Nursing APHN Program Director and UHM Nursing alumnus, was the master of ceremonies for the event. The students selected Brendon Friedman, DNP, MBA, APRN-Rx, FNP-BC, PMHNP-BC, CME, UHM Nursing Assistant Professor and UHM Nursing alumnus, to provide the keynote address. Student speakers were BS graduate Timothy Takahashi and DNP graduate Chadwick Council.
To continue the traditional ribbon lei and pinning presentation, students were mailed their ribbon lei with UHM nursing alumni pin affixed and were invited to submit videos of their loved ones presenting them with their lei and pin.
UH Manoa Nursing Alumni Association (UHMNAA) continued their tradition of giving a $200 cash gift to accompany the baccalaureate student-selected Professional Nurse Award which was presented to Myra Clarissa Pascual. Additionally, the alumni association presented a $200 cash gift to the advanced degree faculty-selected Liko Ae Award, presented to master’s graduate Miyuki Nishiyama.
Additional baccalaureate award recipients were:
● Miki Matsuoka – Leadership Award
● Leilani Luis – Kahiau Award
● Timothy Takahashi – Community Service Award
● Raphaela Che – DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nursing Students
● Hannah Fukushima and Erin Kiely – Academic Achievement Award
The Dean’s Scholarly Project Award was awarded to three students.
● PhD graduate Cynthia Greywolf in recognition of her study project titled “Exploring A Shared History Of Colonization, Historical Trauma And Links To Alcohol Use With Native Hawaiians Living In Rural Hawaii In The 21st Century”
● DNP graduate Tracy Canonizado in recognition of her study project titled “Decreasing Vaccination Related Pain In A Pediatric Community Health Clinic”
● MS graduate Miyuki Nishiyama in recognition of her study project titled “Pilot Study To Examine Current Knowledge And Practices Related To Disaster Preparedness Among Foreign Residents In Japan”
The undergraduate students presented UHM Nursing faculty Brendon Friedman with the Nurse Educator Award in recognition of his respect and dedication to student success. William Siegman, MSN/ED, RN, UHM Nursing Instructor, was the recipient of the faculty-selected DAISY Award for Extraordinary Faculty, in honor of his exceptional impact on students and inspirational influence on their future.
Additionally, Randal Wada, MD, UHM Nursing Professor, received the Hookele Award for graduate faculty recognizing his consistent engagement in guiding and supporting graduate nursing students. The award is student-nominated and faculty committee-selected.
UHM Nursing will celebrate 2020-2021 graduates at a Virtual Recognition Ceremony on May 14, 2021 at 5:30 p.m. HST. Visit the event page for more information. For questions about Recognition Ceremony, please contact Carlyn Minster at email@example.com.